Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Inihaw na Mais (Roasted Corn)


I had my roasted corn last 2008 when I traveled to La Union. It is sold on every bus station and along national highway of Pangasinan, Tarlac and La Union especially if it's in season. The way I discovered roasted corn sold between street of Blumentrit and España is a bit of coincidence. Here's what happened. I passed by Blumentrit corner España Boulevard one day when I saw a customer ordered a raw corn and asked the vendor to roast it for him. The fruit stand vendor peeled the corn clean then slipped out a small pot filled with hot charcoal underneath the fruit stand. From there, the vendor slowly roasted the corn in less than ten minutes. I was really amazed knowing that there's such fruit stand that can literally roast your corn on the spot. After a quick observation from the previous customer, I duplicated the same step of ordering the corn. 


The roasted corn on the picture above is a Japanese Sweet Corn variety.  Local corn variety turns tough or quite dry when roasted but Japanese Sweet Corn retains a measure of moisture even if it's roasted for more or less than 10 minutes. The taste is sweet with combination of smoky flavor. An eight and a half inches of roasted Japanese Sweet Corn sold between España and Blumentrit is a healthy alternative snack for P20.00 per piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment