Saturday, July 23, 2011

Beef and Chicken Mami

An empty lot at the corner of P. Florentino street and Blumentrit becomes a food hotspot for hungry people. This make shift street eatery opens at 2:00PM and closes early at 6PM. Arriving late at  3 or 4PM to order food at this street eatery, is a bad sign that you'll end up empty handed. Getting there first assures you that you can still choose the best portions. What makes this street eatery a sensation in my neighborhood, is because, of three things: 1.) food cost P25 2.) they have bigger serving 3.) they have variety of short order snacks like: bilo-bilo, palabok, mami, sotanghon, lomi, pancit, spaghetti and others. You won't find anything special at this eatery, their ingredients is straightforward or sometimes, quite improvised. Well, I'll leave that thought to you if I said "improvised".

I took a momentary off from reviewing fried food and focused my attention on reviewing a big serving of beef and chicken mami. This street eatery don't prepare their noodles on standard measurement. They just grab a handful of everything and pour a hot soup on the bowl. Since I don't have my measuring instrument and food review notes with me, I decided to take home my noodles.

 
This is how it looks like when you take the noodles home. One plastic for the dry ingredients and another plastic for the broth/soup.
 Everything in the bowl is simple. It consist of the following ingredients: shredded chicken meat, noodle, broth made from beef bones and meat, tidbits of beef fat, fried garlic bits, finely chopped onion leaves and a whole hard boiled egg. The taste of broth is no way near to some known noodle house but a P25 bowl is a sure way to get you filled. I ate this noodle at 4PM and I never crave for dinner later at night. 

Placed the dry ingredients on the bowl.
The noodle is cooked just right and chewy. The garlic is crunchy and flavorful. The broth seems OK but a bit greasy considering that the pot on where they prepared the broth has a lot of tidbits of beef fat that is continuously simmered.




 After placing everything on a three and a half inches height by nine inches diameter of bowl, it occupied almost two and a half inch height by six and a half inches diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment