Wednesday, July 13, 2011

From Nuts to Nuts

I consider this one of my greatest challenge- reviewing fried peanuts. I mean, for me it all taste the same. I'm not sure if my taste buds went numb from eating samples of fried food for days. I'll be focusing my peanut review on food cart that has been a part of  our local street food history within my area of residence..and the rest are new comers.

Now, let's make a comparison.
 
A. Fried peanuts sold at España-Blumentrit.
B. I bought this one at Maceda St.-España











Both of this fried peanuts is bagged on a standard six inches by one and a half inch of paper bag. I both folded the paper bag further to check which one yields much content. Unfortunately, both of the bags measured only three inches after folding. So, I got myself a small glass and a ruler to exactly measure their actual content.

A. Fried peanuts at España-Blumnetrit. This is equivalent to two teaspoon.


B. Fried peanuts at Maceda-España.
Like Ive said earlier, I can't seem to discern the difference between two sample that I brought home for review. They have the same level of saltiness and crunchiness. They both cost P5.00 for such a small amount. The only thing that I noticed is the garlic.

Garlic makes an ordinary peanut aromatic and something that your taste buds will crave for. Most vendors fry their peanuts with garlic. The fried peanuts from España-Blumentrit has a generous amount of thinly sliced moderately done garlic which is tastier than the ones bought at Maceda-España with only  one piece of small overcooked garlic. If you saw a burnt garlic on fried peanuts, it only means three things. One, the peanuts is re-fried with the garlic. Second, the vendor might have recycled the same garlic cloves over and over again within the frying process on every batch of new peanuts. Third, the vendor forgot or neglected to screen the burnt garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment