Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ministop's Sweet Kariman

I frequently visit Ministop to satisfy my cravings for a midnight snack. Being a frequent customer to two convenient store giants like 7-Eleven and Ministop has it's advantage-you get to see the difference between the two. Both has similar line-up of snacks like hotdogs, sandwich, donuts, steamed buns and concoction of cool drinks. Ministop quite stood out on one thing-the "Kariman".

 I searched the internet to look for the meaning of the snack, hoping that it may have its origin somewhere else. My search ended finding two meaning. First, it is a English name for newborn baby for Urdu Muslim. Second, it means "generous". Hmmmm... I prefer the second meaning of it. Let see how "generous" it is to fill your stomach with insanely variety of flavors to choose from.

So, I hit the store just to be shocked that they ran out of all flavors except for the sweet variety. Having no choice, I purchased the remaining sweet variety of "Kariman" and headed home to make a review. Each of this breaded-golden brown-delight is almost three inches in diameter and more than a half  an inch thick.

I saw a forum while researching about this snack at pinoyexchange.com. It seems that everybody who had this snack before has it's own personal favorite among the available flavors. (You can check this link:http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160162) 

Now, let me show you what I think about this food.

Leaving this fried delight to cool makes it solid like croutons that is why it is best eaten while it's hot with oozing hot sweetness on every bite. There's nothing magical about this bread. It is a simple breaded dough filled with sweet filing then deep fried into golden brown perfection. It's amazing that even this snack is not as greasy compared to other fried bread snack that absorbs oil like sponge.

What makes this sweet variety of Kariman a hit is because it's cheap with a price tag of P10 per piece. I also like the way they manage to reinvent typical bread-and -filling type of snack. Instead of having a typical loaf bread spreading it with a spread of your choice, here, it's all-in- one, with so much variety to choose from. The crunchiness of the bread adds a bit of excitement while eating.

The chocolate flavor is sweet and rich while the vanilla fudge flavor is sweet, creamy and vanilla flavor really blended well. Strawberry flavored Kariman has a strong strawberry flavor balanced with sweetness. All in all it's a great snack. Like I've said earlier, I have to check if this snack  is "generous" on it's taste and as a stomach filler. I'm pretty convinced that it is really a "generous" snack.

1 comment: