Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Krispy Krust Empanada


I had a piece of my bad day three days ago. Some things happen unexpectedly leaving me quite off my normal routine of doing things. I went to Baguio for an important matter. The chilly atmosphere, the rain plus the preoccupation of dealing an important event is a pretty bad mix for my food review habit. With the hope to find something new to review, I dressed up and went to a familiar spot in Baguio City, which is, SM shopping mall.

As I walked along the floors of the shopping mall, I found something that’s worth trying to taste-The Krispy Krust Empanada. The food stall really did well in reinventing traditional empanada by putting different fillings like: ham & cheese, tuna, chicken asado, chicken adobo, barbecue chicken...etc. None of those flavors hit my interest until I saw the Chicken Special with Veggie Empanada. The six inches Chicken Special Empanada also boasts of its almost one and a half thick of filling for the price of P25.00. 



Here’s the best part. Breaking it open to see what’s inside.  In order for me not to appear conspicuous to the empanada vendor, I ran into the food court to analyze the food.

Before tearing apart the empanada, I pressed my fingers on the bread to check whether the bread is really filled. Unfortunately, the empanada easily breaks upon applying pressure. That was really a bad start. I thought that the bread would spring back after applying pressure because of the filling. I noticed that the chicken-vegetable filling isn’t as much after breaking it. 

My expectation really got dragged down further when I saw only chicken and sayote strips as filling. I was expecting something of a meat and with a number of vegetable inside the bread that would make the empanada that I bought something unique. Perhaps, it really lives up with the product name as chicken with veggie (singular) and not chicken with veggies (plural). The filling is really ordinary. The sauce mixed with vegetable and chicken tasted like a bullon cubes or a powdered seasoning.  



The bread part tasted great and quite thick. The crust on the edge is tough and crunchy. As I examine the bread further, I found out that, the color yellow on the inner layer of the bread isn’t always from the sauce of the chicken and vegetable filling-it’s raw dough (look at the picture above). The raw dough experience isn’t pleasant. I’m pretty sure that there’s something wrong with the way they cooked the empanada.

No comments:

Post a Comment