Thursday, July 21, 2011

KAIMURA or KAMIMURA (kay mura or kami mura)

After a few minutes of examining the Krispy Krust Empananda at SM Baguio, my wife came in with a friend and proposed that we should try one of the heavy meals along the food court. I wasn’t really in the mood to try one meal at that time due to the fact the food court is packed with people with few original selection of food to choose from.  Suddenly, my wife got her eyes hooked on a big black bento plate loaded with two slices of pork that a lady was carrying. She literally traced back the origin of the big black bento plate.  At the end of the food court, a store named Kaimura or Kamimura is where the huge slices of pork and giant platter came from (Sorry, guys. I forgot the exact name of the food store so I posted two most probable names to it.). The owner really got creative to name his business turning Filipino words into a catchy Japanese themed food store.

We ordered this black rectangular platter with two large slices of meat, rice noodles and rice that can feed two people with just a platter. Finally, my mood to do a food review kicked in. The price of P108 for a huge platter with iced tea is not as bad. My wife’s friend almost gave up eating on the platter he ordered that was designed for two.

I will review each of the contents separately to keep it organized.



Pork Slice topped with Teriyaki Sauce
I really can’t determine whether it was grilled flat on an iron or marinated, then cooked on a pot like adobo. I’m pretty sure that the pork isn’t fried. Perhaps, the darkening of the pork slice is due to its marinade or rub, which is, soy sauce. The teriyaki sauce is OK with a few fibers of gingers in it.  I only have one problem on the teriyaki sauce, that is, the strong gingery taste. Rating for the meat tenderness is B for average. My spoon and fork can’t easily break the meat even on sufficient effort. The pork is almost half an inch thick and almost five to six inches in length.

Breaded Pork
This is not exceptional either. Let me tell you why. The pork slice with breading is cooked into crunchy golden brown perfection but oily. I did taste a faint burnt aftertaste while chewing the breaded pork. Like what I’ve said on my previous article, reused oil and re-fried food ruins the taste. If there’s something that the breaded pork slice excelled in, that would be, the tenderness of the meat.

Rice Noodles
 As you look at the picture on top, the rice noodles on my platter is literally just rice noodles. I did found pieces of tinny weeny carrots and it was barely visible to my naked eye. Infusing good taste to rice noodles calls for number of ingredients. I find it impossible for the rice noodles on my platter to achieve that quality taste of an original since I can’t see any other ingredients in it. They may have infused flavor in the oil then mixed on the rice noodle or may have used other seasoning.

Rice
Well, nothing special. It’s just plain old rice served for almost two people.

Sauce
The upper right portion of the rectangular platter is a sweet-spicy blend ketchup and additional teriyaki sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment