Monday, July 25, 2011

Ministop's Fried Siomai

This, you should try. The fried siomai they have on this convenient store defines what quality really means. It’s been an old adage that the price of the food dictates the quality. I totally agree with that, sometimes. I visited a nearby Minsitop branch to get a few samples and make a review on the spot. Waiting time took me almost less than five minutes to get my fried siomai served on a not-so-busy afternoon. 

(left) Crab Siomai, (middle) Sharksfin, (right) Pork


I’m not sure if P29 per four pieces on a stick is cheap but the taste is something everyone should try. I bought three samples to taste-the pork, crab and the sharksfin. Each of the fried siomai has a right amount of crispiness with no taste of recycled oil.


The fried pork siomai is somewhat sweet, not starchy, and the texture is like embutido. They really got the way I prefer my fried siomai to be. Here’s something amazing. The ground pork is real unlike the street food version. I can literally taste and identify the components like pork bits, pork fat and spring onion while chewing. 
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See the difference:

Fried Siomai on the street with 1cm of filling.
Fried Pork Siomai at Ministop with almost 1 inch of filling
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 The fried crab siomai is a combination of pork siomai with a small slice of crab stick and pieces of thinly cut nori sheets. It is also one of the delicious fried siomai that I ever had. I was skeptic that the crab stick might not deliver a strong flavor. I was wrong. My first bite on the fried crab siomai got my senses tingling. 


I’m not really feeling the sharksfin fried siomai. The one thing that got me thinking on why I suddenly fell out from delightful snacking of the sharksfin fried siomai, is because, my taste buds got overwhelmed by the strong tasting pork and crab fried siomai, which I ate before sampling the quite delicate flavor of the sharksfin siomai. The iced tea didn’t help to flush down the aftertaste of the first batch of samples. Oh well, got to buy another fried sharksfin siomai soon and update this portion of my blog. One lesson learned. Eat the delicate ones before moving up to a much stronger taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment