Thursday, July 28, 2011

Meatballs



Taking my food review very seriously takes me to a lot of interesting and disappointing results. The latter statement proves true on this portion of my article. I have to admit I fell for different misleading products that never delivered the result it promises most of the time.

At first look, I thought it was a hardboiled egg coated on brown batter peddled along the corner street of EspaƱa Blvd and Blumentrit. The lady who sells this stuff told me that it was a meatball with a price tag of P2.00 per piece.  I mean, seriously, I never saw any street food that sells meatballs for a snack at a cheap price. So, I said to myself, that, this stuff could be something that’s interesting to review. With so much enthusiasm in my mind, I bought four pieces of this stuff and went back home.

Its a meatball with no meat.

 Surprisingly, it wasn’t a meatball at all when I took my first bite.  It’s another example of bad or misleading product name. Time and again, I sliced through each of the one and a half inch meatballs hoping to see traces of meat but I only found very few strands of corned beef, pieces of minced onion and onion leaves and the rest is made of batter. I can’t even taste the strands of the corned beef. The meatball is spongy like Japan’s Takoyaki. Perhaps, the owner should have renamed her product into “cornedbeefyaki”. Hmmmm…I like the sound of it, “cornedbeefyaki” (yucky). The texture is like a puto (steamed muffins) that was deep fried. 

My experience on this meatball is a combination bad advertising and bad culinary skills. If I were the lady’s kitchen instructor, I will give her a big “F” as her grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment